Saturday, January 10, 2009






Well last weekend we had an exciting weekend. Sunday night Josh and Katie were "rough housing". Katie was grabbing onto Josh's leg and he asked her to let go and he pulled his leg away and her chin came down and hit his leg. I heard the crack of her jaw coming down from the kitchen and i ran into the family room. Katie was in hysterical tears. I looked in her mouth really quickly and did not see any chip just a little blood. So i comforted her until she stopped crying and told her she would be fine. So l put the kids to bed. The next morning Josh was at physical therapy Katie came up to me and said her mouth hurt. So I sat down with and looked a little closer. I almost screamed when i opened her mouth. Her tooth was fractured right down the middle into the nerve. When i had first looked in her mouth i was just looking for a chip on her front tooth. I felt so bad. So i hurried and called Josh and left a message on his phone. Next I called my office to get Katie in. Then Josh called back and I told him what happened. He raced home on the snowy roads. He was so worried that Katie was going to look really bad without her tooth. He also thought it was her front tooth, it was cute.

So later we took her to my office. She has never had a Dental appoint. before. She sat on the chair like she had done this before. She even let us take an x-ray on her. Which is usually hard on a 2 year old. My Dr. Looked at her and told me it definatly needs to come out. And that he would not take it out. He did'nt want to tramatize my child. I begged him to do it at our office so i would'nt have to pay a Pedodontist to extract the tooth. She never has cried at her regular Dr. office when she get s her regular shots. But was still being a chicken. So I made another appointment a few days later at the pedodontist.

So I went by myself with Ben, Katie and my little sister 2 week old baby. They had told me that they were just going to look at the tooth today and reschedule the extraction for another day. So I thought it would'nt be a big deal with all those kids my myself. But as soon as the dentist looked at her tooth. He looked at me and said " That needs to come out right now! The nerve is totally exposed." Which I already kinda new. So we went ahead and did it. Kaite did not cry all through the shots. But when the Dr. started to extract the tooth she started whining a little and she slowly progressed into a full on scream. At this point I am sitting in the corner holding my nephew wondering if i should leave the room. The assistant left the room and I asked the Dr. If he would like me to leave. HE said "No" I did'nt want to be on of those annoying moms that hover and say it's okay. So he got some clamps put to hold her mouth open so she could'nt clamp her mouth shut. I was sweating so much by this time due to it being a 110 degree's in the room. I told the Dr. to just get it out. So finally it came out. It had a very long root and the nerve was hanging out of the tooth. Poor katie would not calm down. The assistant had to hekp me out to the waiting room with the baby while Katie screamed all the way out. She would'nt even pick out a toy. So i was embaressed because everyone was staring at me in the waiting room. I was trying to pay and Katie would keep screaming. " MY TOOTH, MY TOOTH!"
I finally got her to the car by this point she was screaming to put the tooth back in her mouth. It so broke my heart that I had to put her through this. But i finally got her to listen to me. I explained that we could put the tooth under her pillow so the tooth fairy could bring her a princess toy. And of course anything with the word princess in it helps. Sorry this is so long but all is well she got a new snow white movie and all is better around our house. But I am glad that we got out family picture's done already!

4 comments:

jenn said...

And on top of ALL of that... you still came to celeste's to play! You are one amazing mom. I totally would've been the "annoying mom that hovers". Even though she screamed (with good reason).. she is still such a brave little girl!

Rayna said...

WOW! What a trooper and I mean you Kelly. I think I would have just left after she started screaming. My brother knocked out his front tooth when he was 3 and he looked cute. I think Katie looks SUPER cute. Good luck! How is it healing up?

Chris and Mel said...

just as long as their is a princess toy at the end...

Holly Hart said...

What a sweet blog!! It might make you feel better to know that Gracie (our 3rd child!) was our first child to lose a tooth the natural way... Both Emma and Jackson each had a tooth knocked out when they were 2! Katie is still adorable!